My Team is Good, My WHIP is awful

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
Garnold

My Team is Good, My WHIP is awful

Postby Garnold » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 am

Just sunk into last place with a 1.34 WHIP in my roto league. I tried to construct my roster with a 1.27 ratio in mind but a terrific combination of Kevin Slowey, AJ Burnett and Cole Hamels have destroyed me thus far.

My quandary is thus: This is an aberration, correct? At least one of the above three will start seeing their WHIP shift downward, right?

Should I sit tight and hope for the best, or do I chuck it all and make some trades? Someone's dangling Chris Carpenter right now and he is looking rather tempting...
12 team mixed 5x5 Roto Redraft

C: Gattis
1B: Rizzo
2B: Altuve
3B: Franco
SS: Reyes
CI: Pujols
MI: Schoop
OF: McCutchen
OF: Trumbo
OF: Wil Myers
OF: J-Upton
OF: Billy Burns
UTIL: Holt

Bench: Jarrod Dyson, Gallo,
DL: Do. Santana, Steve Pearce

SP's: J Fernandez, Price, Harvey, Salazar, Pomeranz, Smyly, DeScalfini, Chen, Glasnow
RP's: Will Harris, Ziegler, Jean Gomez, Will Smith

Grey

Re: My Team is Good, My WHIP is awful

Postby Grey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:02 am

Just sunk into last place with a 1.34 WHIP in my roto league. I tried to construct my roster with a 1.27 ratio in mind but a terrific combination of Kevin Slowey, AJ Burnett and Cole Hamels have destroyed me thus far.

My quandary is thus: This is an aberration, correct? At least one of the above three will start seeing their WHIP shift downward, right?

Should I sit tight and hope for the best, or do I chuck it all and make some trades? Someone's dangling Chris Carpenter right now and he is looking rather tempting...
Carp would help you, sure. I don't think Burnett's ever going to help on WHIP and Slowey doesn't look himself this year in regards to WHIP.
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.
There's more than one player with the same last name? Then spell out who you're talking about.
Thanks!

jumphook14

Postby jumphook14 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm a big fan of rostering a couple of good MR's on every team to help with WHIP control throughout the season. A guy like Evan Meek might be available, and I might look to steal Clippard away in a small-ball trade (and you can handcuff him to Capps) if you do some dealing.
roto redux founders league 12-team mixed 5x5 rotisserie non-keeper
C mccann/kendall 1B loney 2B kinsler 3B rolen SS a.gonz CI callaspo MI y.escobar OF kemp/werth/g.jones/fuku/gomes UT furcal BN l.scott DL kendry
SP wainwright/cain RP rivera/papelbon P k.rod/clippard/romero/billingsley/strasburg BN c.lewis/lackey/braden/happ

yahoo! public H2H 520690
C napoli 1B m.cabrera 2B kendrick 3B beltre SS jeter OF ethier/bay/hamilton UT fielder/abreu BN ellsbury/j.lopez
SP greinke/lee RP bell/clippard P jenks/rauch/price/burnett BN j.garcia/latos/correia DL street

daver

Postby daver » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 pm

What will Carp cost you?

PadSquad

Postby PadSquad » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:58 am

I agree with jumphook. If you can't secure a low WHIP starter, look into a good MR in the meantime. Try Luke Gregerson from the Padres. He's Heath Bell's set up man. In 36 innings he has 43 K and 3 BB. He is also in line to take on the closer role if Bell either leaves or gets injured. I'm doing alright in the WHIP dept, but I may just grab him. You can't beat a 14:1 K/BB ratio!
12 Team Yahoo H2H Standard 5x5

C- Buster Posey
1B- Adrian Gonzalez
2B- Starlin Castro
3B- Evan Longaria
SS- Manny Machado
IF- Yonder Alonso
LF- Michael Brantley
CF- Charlie Blackmon
RF- Aaron Judge
OF- Hunter Renfroe
UTIL- Kyle Schwarber